Nothing kicks off a Superbowl party like a spicy appetizer dip...especially one that includes beer!
I love southwestern flavors like cumin, coriander, and oregano. Roasting the veggies brings out the sweetness and the charring adds a layer of smokiness. Oven roasted onion is a fantastic contrast to the raw spring onions.
When the sharpness from the beer and lime juice, mild heat of paprika, chili powder, and turmeric is blended into a creamy sour cream and cream cheese base with a kick of cayenne, you have a delicious first course that pairs perfectly with cold beer, good friends, and Superbowl Sunday!
Corn chips make the perfect bed for this appetizer dip. But you could use any type of tortilla chip, Dorito, or even pita chips. If you want to add a healthy crunch, serve with sweet bell peppers and celery sticks!
Spicy Roasted Pepper, Garlic And Beer Southwestern Dip
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Servings: approximately 2 cups
-1/2 orange bell pepper
-3 garlic cloves, unpeeled
-1/4 wedge of large onion
-1/2 tablespoon olive oil
-salt and pepper to taste
-4 ounces cream cheese, softened
-3/4 cup sour cream
-2 tablespoon beer
-1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
-2 pinches salt
-1/4 teaspoon brown sugar
-1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
-1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
-1/2 teaspoon paprika
-1/2 teaspoon chili powder
-1/4 teaspoon turmeric
-1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
-1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
-2 tablespoon green onions plus more for garnish
1. Heat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Place vegetables on a sheet pan.
3. Drizzle oil over vegetables. Massage evenly into each one.
4. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
5. Roast until they start to char and the garlic is fork tender, about 30 to 40 minutes.
6. Blend cream cheese and sour cream in the food processor bowl.
7. Peel charred skin off of bell pepper and squeeze garlic out of skin.
8. Add pepper, onion, garlic, beer, and lime juice into bowl. Pulse a few times, then blend until combined.
9. Sprinkle in the next 9 ingredients. Pulse until combined well.
10. Spoon into a bowl and stir in the green onions so you don't pulverize them.
11. Garnish and serve with corn, tortilla, or pita chips.